Monday, January 14, 2013

DogZ

I haven't written much about Charlie and Kali lately.  I don't know if it's these two dogs or that I'm paying attention more closely to what the dogs do, but I swear these two are the smartest ones we've had.

When Charlie wants something we respond with "Show me" and he DOES show me every time.  it can be that he wants a taste of whatever that is on the stove or the cat is inside/outside and wants out/in.  Kali will show me, too, but Charlie is much better at it and I suspect that she whispers in his ear to go tell mom they want such and such and then Charlie does the dirty work.  I've been told that I did this as a child getting myh little sister to do it.  If that is true, I have a good reason for it.  No one could resist the little round cheeked blonde that my sister was as a child,  Compared to my lanky, plain looks who would you choose to give something to?

With the dogs, however, it's more than simple commands of "Show me.".  I made a big pork roast yesterday and, of course, the dogs got a taste.  When they bugged me for more, I told them that they had to wait till Josh had his share and then they would get more.  I didn't think much more about it until Josh came in late and made himself a sandwich.  As soon as he headed down stairs who do you think was at my side, reminding me of my promise.  I kept my promise and they even got some gravy to boot. 

They now have a doggy door in the basement door and each and every time they come in they have to check in with all the people in the house to let us know that they are in.  Charlie doesn't use the door all that often to go out but Kali does and oftentimes you find her whining at your side till you give her permission to use the door and then off she goes, whining all the while as if muttering under her breath.

A Kali story.

Josh got a blue ray surround sound thing at a deep discount at Best Buy.  He was watching an Avengers movie with the sound turned way up.  Kali was visiting him in his room when the Incredible Hulk on the screen growled.  Josh says that Kali's head came up, swung around to stare at the speaker and then was gone in a flash.  She was so upset she forgot the doggy door and Josh had to let her out of the big door.

I swear I have never heard a sound like the one she was making.  If she were human it would be a scream.

She went outside, raced to the front fence and gave the Hulk hell.  She was successful, too, because no Incredible Hulk has ever darkened our doorstep since and then she came in to tell us that we were safe.  Then last night I was watching "Call the Midwife" on PBS and in the midst of the cries of a woman giving birth, my craft room door flew open and both dogs barreled in to save me from whatever.  They were not at all embarrassed that the noise was on TV they had done their duty and made certain I was ok.  Face licking was involved and a few rubs behind the ears and I'll let you guess who did what.

BTW Kali also protects us from birds in the bamboo. 

Those two are certainly a pair, and I am richer for being their momma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment