Monday, July 15, 2013

DOGZ! Puppy too

we have a new puppy.  New as in just about 8 weeks old.  New as in he has been our for only 8 days.
We named him Sparky.  the Husband, however, is always asking "What's his name again ?" So it's a wonder that Sparky doesn't think that's his name.

I've had a number of puppies in my time but none of them have been such a buster as Sparky. He was once called Number One and then referred to as Unflappable and the second name fits him to a T.

We have a very large fenced in yards with over grown grass in some sections, cut bamboo and tree limbs stacked in two piles.  There's live bamboo that sways in the wind and a rabbit burrow as well as a hedge hog burrow, a deck, doggie door, puppy pool, people passing to bark at and a mound of dirt to sit on, or dig into.  That's a lot of yard and you would think that a puppy would find it intimidating.  Not Sparky, he just barrels forward, not caring if he's in the company of the big dogs or on his own.

the big dogs were none too happy with a puppy.  That really surprised me because they had taken to each other so readily and when they lived next door after the fire, the were great friends with their dog and cats. Sparky would make Kali cower, while Charlie would do his best to make himself invisible.  That was not what I had planned when I got this puppy and I was heart broken.

Then, by dumb luck, I had realized what I had done.  I had been telling the dogs that there was a puppy coming and that they had to be nice to him and not hurt him and so the dogs were afraid to go near him.  but once I gave each big dog permission to kick Sparky's ass suddenly they were playing.

Josh calls one game the Puppy Tabernacle Choir.  It consists of Kali on that awful turd brown sofa of ours and Sparky on the floor.  Sparky yaps, Kali does some odd hop twirl dance and then sings tohim in a wooop wooop kind of way, then furiously scratches at the sofa.  Yip yap, wooop wooop and then Charlie breaks in with his high pitched girlie voice and you can't hear yourself think.  Yet all tails are wagging furiously and no one gets hurt.

Charlie and Kali have always played a game we call Hungry Hungry Hippos, after the kids' game.  They throw themselves at each other, mouths open making faux growling sounds and play that till one of them either takes off running or falls to the ground.... ok... knocked to the ground.  Since Sparky is only a little bigger than Charlie's head, it would be a dangerous game for a little guy.  Only...... not if Charlie throws himself flat on the ground and hungry hungry hippos Sparky by only raising his head.  More growls, puppy goes rolling over and over only to scramble to his feet and attack once again.

Charlie has appointed himself Sparky's guardian and wherever the puppy is Charlie isn't far behind.  So big and so little and yet they already are buddies.  Kali isn't all that affectionate to Sparky but she loves to run and he loves to chase her.  She'll circle the house twice to his almost one, but she doesn't care.  It had gotten so that Charlie can catch her, the baby can't but it isn't from a lack of trying.

Then when Sparky is pooped out he bounces into his puppy pool where he furiously tries to dig out all the water ending up soaked to the skin and looking a sorry mess.  He doesn't care and enjoys a good dry but only if he can hold onto the end of the towel and you drag him about the floor.  He likes mops too but he rides them more than is dragged.

Sparky wants to be where it is cool and doesn't favor one air conditioning vent over another.  They're all the same to him.  If he wants to snooze but the air isn't on, his very own fan is enough for him and he sleeps with his nose nearly touching the grill of the fan.  And if that isn't cool enough, heck, sooner of later someone is going to open the fridge and he is going to crawl inside and settle down.  Until last night he slept in my room with me but now that he and the dogs are such pals, I've been deserted.  that's fine with me.  I prefer to sleep with my door closed.

There is so much more about this little soul who has come into our lives.  I don't remember the last time I was this happy, or laughed as much.

I have an angel looking out for me.  She doesn't know it but Vancy is my angel.  She fostered Sparky's mom and then the puppies when they came and she moved heaven and earth so I could get my Sparky who was born in Texas and made the 1700 mile journey to my arms.  I will never be able to repay Vancy or thank her enough but I do know there will be a special place in heaven or over the rainbow bridge for her.

How could it be otherwise.  Thank you Vancy.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to warn you about thing with handles. He can't resist anything with a handle - a broom, mop, Swiffer, shovel, rake, it if moves on a handle, he's chasing and chewing on it. Not sure why - but he was the one puppy going gaga every time I tried to clear off the patio, wipe up puppy paw prints off tile, etc.

    ReplyDelete